More and more people are turning to biotech industries as an alternative to traditional industries. In this blog article, you'll get a closer look at the different kinds of businesses in the region, how they are funded, and what is happening today in the industry.
What is biotechnology?
- BioTech is the application of biology and biochemistry to technological development and production.
- BioTech growth in San Diego is supported by the presence of world-class academic institutions, a favorable business climate, and a skilled labor pool. If you are interested in reading more about biotechnology companies in San Diego visit big4bio.com/sfbay-directory/.
Image Source: Google
- Biotech companies in San Diego employ more than 10,000 people and generate an estimated $2.5 billion in revenue.
- The city’s leading biotech companies include Amgen, Qualcomm, Genentech, Activision Blizzard, Twitter, Illumina, and more.
- In 2016, San Diego was recognized as one of “America’s Best Cities for Young Professionals” by Forbes magazine.
The Rise of Biotechnology in San Diego
San Diego is quickly becoming a hub for the biotech industry, thanks to the city's supportive environment and talented workforce.
The city's proximity to both the California Institute of Technology and the University of California, San Diego, makes it a natural choice for companies looking to research and develop new medical treatments. And San Diego's diverse population – including scientists, engineers, and business people – creates a welcoming environment for new businesses and entrepreneurs.
The city has also made significant investments in infrastructure, including an advanced biotechnology incubation center and a network of allied health care providers. This robust ecosystem has helped attract some of the world's leading biotechnology companies, such as GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis AG, and Roche Holding AG.
As San Diego's biotech community continues to grow, there are sure to be more innovative solutions created that will improve the quality of life for all involved.